[QGIS-Developer] Why is .qgz the default format?

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 05:19:43 PST 2019

Hi all,

The initial plan - discussed some years ago on the lists - was to have a
container so that we can embed resources along the project file, and open
the door to a lot of nice features for sharing qgis projects.
The auxiliary data work was the opportunity to add this optional format and
checks the associated issues.
Then the idea was to switch to qgz by default and add features to save
resources (svg, fonts, datasets, etc...) into the project file.

Unfortunately, the expected funding was discontinued and we are stuck now
with this default QGZ format, only storing the qgs and the qgd files.  (I
think one should not hire a QGIS funder and expect fundings keep coming
afterwards :) )

The timing was bad also, because we only start since a few weeks to have
user feedback on this, like this issue https://issues.qgis.org/issues/20828

We also have feeback that QGZ makes things more complicated for qgs
maintenance tasks.

I really don't know what to do:

- switch back to classical qgs and let qgz get maturity. (But I'm afraid
we'll have very few real feedback then, just like during 3.0-3.2 period)
- give up qgz and bet on another option to offer a container (geopackage )
- totally switch to qgz and offer a python lib for easing maintenance tasks
?

Any opinion welcome here !
Régis