[QGIS-Developer] Why is .qgz the default format?

Carlo A. Bertelli (Charta s.r.l.) carlo.bertelli at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 05:59:41 PST 2019

My first reaction is "please KISS", the XML project is already complicated,
so I would stick to option 1.
About usability, I really don't mind it. Having a zipped file is convenient
when... I make a mess, editing the project file.
There is already an enhancement proposal to optionally save the project to
the database, it could be a good start for option 2, but the project is
stored as raw content to accomodate future changes in any direction.
Here are my two cents: don't try to automate everything, sometimes a touch
of vi saves your day, and above all don't make it overly complicated for
automation sake.

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 2:41 PM Hugo Mercier <hugo.mercier at oslandia.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 21/01/2019 14:19, RĂ©gis Haubourg wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The initial plan - discussed some years ago on the lists - was to have a
> > container so that we can embed resources along the project file, and
> > open the door to a lot of nice features for sharing qgis projects.
> > The auxiliary data work was the opportunity to add this optional format
> > and checks the associated issues.
> > Then the idea was to switch to qgz by default and add features to save
> > resources (svg, fonts, datasets, etc...) into the project file.
> >
> > Unfortunately, the expected funding was discontinued and we are stuck
> > now with this default QGZ format, only storing the qgs and the qgd
> > files.  (I think one should not hire a QGIS funder and expect fundings
> > keep coming afterwards :) )
> >
> > The timing was bad also, because we only start since a few weeks to have
> > user feedback on this, like this issue
> https://issues.qgis.org/issues/20828
> >
> > We also have feeback that QGZ makes things more complicated for qgs
> > maintenance tasks.
> >
> > I really don't know what to do:
> >
> > - switch back to classical qgs and let qgz get maturity. (But I'm afraid
> > we'll have very few real feedback then, just like during 3.0-3.2 period)
> > - give up qgz and bet on another option to offer a container (geopackage
> )
> > - totally switch to qgz and offer a python lib for easing maintenance
> > tasks ?
>
> I would vote for your 3rd proposition: replace xml hacking by something
> that looks like calls to an API.
> And adding an option for those who want to switch back to .qgs +
> separated aux files, keeping the default to .qgz.

Carlo A. Bertelli
   Charta servizi e sistemi per il territorio e la storia ambientale srl
          Dipendenze del palazzo Doria,
          vc. alla Chiesa della Maddalena 9/2 16124      Genova (Italy)
          tel./fax +39(0)10 2475439  +39 0108566195  mobile:+39 393 1590711
   e-mail: bertelli at chartasrl.eu      http://www.chartasrl.eu