[QGIS-Developer] Why is .qgz the default format?

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 06:12:36 PST 2019

>My first reaction is "please KISS", the XML project is already
complicated, so I would stick to option 1.

Well, qgz adressed a really common caveat: Users just didn't know anything
about auxiliary data qgd files (the same as for Memory Layer Saver plugin
.mldata files) and lost data when sharing projects.

>From a very newbie user, having files along the qgs is really not KISS.
I was aware that a qgz zip would make it a little harder for GIS admin that
do mass text editing with scripts, but I think they can live with it, when
losing data for average user was really something blocking to me.

I always tend to prefer solutions that make straightforward for common
users, so I'm with Matthias here.

Any more opinions ?
Régis