[QGIS-Developer] Save layer metadata to global datasource

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Tue Jul 2 01:16:09 PDT 2019

Hi Gerald

Thank you for your email.

> On 28 Jun 2019, at 16:30, Gerald Kogler <geraldo at servus.at> wrote:
>
> Hi ppl,
>
> Layer metadata currently is saved either as a .qmd file on disk or as a
> record in the users personal "qgis.qmldb" (tbl_metadata).
>
> We now have the problem that metadata gets lost when using a Postgis
> layer by a different user/user profile. So we miss the option to save
> the metadata together with the layer.
>
> I imagine a solution similar to styles, where you choose between Local
> Database or Datasource Database when "Save as Default".
>
> So in Postgres we would need a additional table "public.layer_metadata"
> with column "metadata" to save the URI (text) and column "qmd" to save
> the XML.
>
> Any thoughts on that, would that make sense?

Yes you are right and saving to PostgreSQL is on our roadmap. I plan to start a crowdfunding campaign later this month to try to gather enough funds to complete the next round of metadata support in QGIS.

You can read more history on our work here:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/91

Our roadmap for the future is mostly encapsulated here - though it could probably use some freshening up.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1twE8J345Sz1rk1z34672eqlEiL2mJT4bZbuF5oRTCoM/edit?usp=sharing

If you find any prospective funders, please point them in my direction and I will try to aggregate them together to get enough money to fund the next round.

Thanks!

Regards

Tim

> thanks