[QGIS-Developer] WFS with only geometries?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Jul 2 02:08:37 PDT 2019

Hi Andreas,

> I am examining questions from our users regarding the publication of WFS
> services and the usage of this service in QGIS Desktop as a client:
>
>  	* Is it possible or valid (OGC compatible) to publish a WFS with only
> the geometries and no attributes at all?

Sure

>  	* Is a primary key column in WFS optional or required?

Not strictly. But the gml:id / fid of GML features must be stable, and the
traditional way of doing that is to use the primary key to put it inside. So
your underlying storage should pretty much have a primary key, even if it is
not exposed by the service as an attribute.

>  	* Are there limitations if there is no primary column published in the
> WFS service?

See above. If your gml:id / fid are not stable, then WFS paging is probably
going to misbehave. WFS-T will not be usable, etc.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com