[QGIS-Developer] Is the measurement tool using proj library?

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Jul 19 06:14:57 PDT 2019

Hi Nyall and others,

I was wrong, there is no difference in behaviour between proj493 and
proj520. Nor is there a difference between Linux and Windows.

We, as a user, made the mistake of creating test data in a new empty
layer at around (0,0) and my colleague in a totally different area in
the coordinate system in an area that isn't valid for the EPSG:2056
projection. The EPSG:2056 projection only works reasonably well in the
bound of approx. 2485000 1075000 2828500 13000000

It produces bogus results if the user creates data outside of this
boundary, like at around 0,0.

I was so embarrassed that it took me so long to find out our mistake.
For the longest time I thought it was some bug in QGIS or proj, only to
find out that both myself and my colleague created our test data outside
of the valid bounds of the projection at totally different locations,
but both outside of Switzerland. If we had some base layer below our
test data rather than just creating empty project with no background
maps, it wouldn't happen.

When I moved the testdata into the valid bounds of the projection, the
area difference between planimetric and ellipsoidic area was less than a
square meter.

For myself, I decided to never make fun again about other people not
understanding projections, given that I make such mistakes myself ...

I wonder if it would make sense to issue a warning if a user creates
data outside of the valid bounds of a projection? It would definitely
make sense for stupid people like myself ...

Thanks and greetings,

Andreas