[QGIS-Developer] GSoC QGIS 3D Improvement: Week 8 Report

Ismail Sunni imajimatika at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 11:47:23 PDT 2019

Dear QGIS developers,

Here is my 8th-week report for my GSoC Project[4]. You can also check the
project wiki page [2]. Comments and suggestions are welcome :)

GSoC QGIS 3D Improvement Week 8 Report

*Period*: 15 July 2019 - 21 July 2019

*Report*
1. What did I complete this week?
   - Porting Billboard functionality from my experimental repo[3] to QGIS
codebase[1]. Success with a static image, and currently polishing with
default symbol (still looks ugly symbol).
   Sample result can be watched below (click and it will play on YouTube):
    - QGIS 3D Billboard Rendering with Succes Kid (static) (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxsu0ZaDd0k)
    - QGIS 3D Billboard Rendering with Default QgsSymbol - still ugly (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32Tv7y07vXg)
2. What am I going to achieve for next week?
   - Make the billboard shows symbol from user
   - Polishing
   - Fill 2nd evaluation
3. Is there any blocking issue?
   - It seems, adding an image (not from a file) to the texture is not
straight forward.
4. Code
   - Branch for billboard feature [1]
   - Repo for QT C++ billboard [3]