[QGIS-Developer] GSoC QGIS 3D Improvement: Week 8 Report

Ismail Sunni imajimatika at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 12:09:36 PDT 2019

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the feedback and sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for the update! Maybe I missed it, but what is planned to eventually
> go in the billboard? The kid pic is nice for a proof of concept but have
> you made a concept render of the how the final thing will look? It would be
> nice for the billboard to use the tooltip text or the label text - it that
> the plan? I’m still not convinced it wouldn’t be better having the
> billboard facing a fixed (or used defined fixed) direction but maybe I am
> alone in this….when I watch the youtube clip the boards seem to go ‘flat on
> the ground’ and lose their 3d representation.

The common usage is to put a label or sign of a place. Something like this
in Google map. In this case, the sign is better to have the same size and
always facing the same direction. When we zoom out, we can see where is the
place since the billboard will still have the same size. And when we rotate
or tilt the map, we can still see it properly also.

https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/1421861/62011693-eb66fe00-b17b-11e9-939d-d5cbb1955899.jpg

In my last week report, it's getting better, like the screenshot below.

https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/1421861/62011245-19e1da80-b176-11e9-8da4-df6f9bd6d004.jpg

Regarding a tooltip or a label text, I haven't thought about it. I am not
sure it's possible to do it even for a normal symbol. Using the identify
tool is one of the option to know what is it in the billboard.

Another good example of a billboard is this
https://cesiumjs.org/Cesium/Build/Apps/Sandcastle/index.html?src=Billboards.html

I hope my explanation is quite clear.

Best Regards.

--