[QGIS-Developer] GSoC QGIS 3D Improvement: Week 1 Report

Ismail Sunni imajimatika at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 06:56:59 PDT 2019

Dear QGIS developers

Here is my 1st-week report for my GSoC Project. You can also check it on
the wiki page [3][4]. Comments and suggestions are welcome :)

Best regards

GSoC 3D Improvement Week 1 Report

*Period*: 27 May 2019 - 2 June 2019

*Report*
1. What did I complete this week?
   * Trying to implement floating widget above Q3DWindow --> Not possible
   * Decide with the mentors to implement it as a normal widget next to the
Q3DWindow
   * Implement the navigation widget and add the functionality (zoom
in/out, tilt up/down, rotating)
     ![QGIS 3D Navigation Widget](https://i.imgur.com/CBhu4PT.jpg)
   * Add the button to show and hide the widget (still using random icon)

2. What am I going to achieve for next week?
   * Make the rotating button sync with the map (currently it can rotate
the map, but when the map rotate it doesn't move)
   * Create better icons for the buttons and make the rotation widget looks

   * Testing
   * Make a pull request to merge the works

3. Is there any blocking issue?
   * Previously yes, with the Q3DWindow, after discussing with mentors, we
will go to the normal widget. Another option: using QtQuick (needs to add
dependencies), render the control manually (too much work)

4. Code
   * For the initial works, my mentors asked me to work on my small project
[1] so that it is faster to developer
   * For the QGIS implementation [2]

5. Misc
   * We have daily text stand up in a slack channel