[QGIS-Developer] GSoC QGIS 3D Improvement: Week 1 Report

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 18:47:57 PDT 2019

On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 at 23:57, Ismail Sunni <imajimatika at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear QGIS developers
>
> Here is my 1st-week report for my GSoC Project. You can also check it on the wiki page [3][4]. Comments and suggestions are welcome :)
>
> Best regards
>
> GSoC 3D Improvement Week 1 Report
>
> Period: 27 May 2019 - 2 June 2019
>
> Report
> 1. What did I complete this week?
>    * Trying to implement floating widget above Q3DWindow --> Not possible
>    * Decide with the mentors to implement it as a normal widget next to the Q3DWindow
>    * Implement the navigation widget and add the functionality (zoom in/out, tilt up/down, rotating)
>      ![QGIS 3D Navigation Widget](https://i.imgur.com/CBhu4PT.jpg)

Just a thought -- did you try splitting this navigation widget off
into it's own tool-style window? Maybe doing so and letting the window
manager force it to sit above the 3d window would help. That giant
amount of wasted space on the right is certainly a downer.

>    * Add the button to show and hide the widget (still using random icon)
>
> 2. What am I going to achieve for next week?
>    * Make the rotating button sync with the map (currently it can rotate the map, but when the map rotate it doesn't move)
>    * Create better icons for the buttons and make the rotation widget looks
>    * Testing
>    * Make a pull request to merge the works
>
> 3. Is there any blocking issue?
>    * Previously yes, with the Q3DWindow, after discussing with mentors, we will go to the normal widget. Another option: using QtQuick (needs to add dependencies), render the control manually (too much work)
>
> 4. Code
>    * For the initial works, my mentors asked me to work on my small project [1] so that it is faster to developer
>    * For the QGIS implementation [2]
>
> 5. Misc
>    * We have daily text stand up in a slack channel

Nice progress Ismail, keep up the great work!

Nyall