[QGIS-Developer] Bug triaging in github

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 08:01:44 PDT 2019

Hi all,
I finally found time to spend half a day on bug triaging and have some
feedback and suggestions.

As expected, searching is faster and contributing to issues is a lot
faster. Searching is fast but less powerfull due to the need of playing
with label a lot. It quickly becomes necessary to store searches as browser
bookmarks, which was handled by redmine before.

Just like in gitlab, bug triaging is made a lot easier using kanban views,
which allow a more panoramic view, and helps with workflows, and
efflortless tag assignation just by dragging issues between columns.

As an illustration, we use this free addon for QWAT :
https://huboard.com/qwat/QWAT/#/
I never really used GitHub's project and found them less effective thant
gitlab's boards.
Huboard has some nice features like aggregating several repositories, or
saving the order of issues in columns, which does not requires additional
tags.

I think we could test  the following possible views (if the tools allow it)

- by priority
- by working state.
    - For features: wishlist / staged / doing / review / done
    - For bug:  raised / feedback / confirmed / low priority / high
priority / worked planned / work in progress / solved
- by milestone (for features) : not sure about this one assuming our fixed
release policy.

If our workflow tags are well designed, that shouldn't lead in adding too
much labels.

One last point, this does not tighten us more to github because gitlab
offers the same or more, and it relies almost only on tags and milestones
(except for issue ordering).

I'd like to play a bit with projects somewhere in a sandbox, what
permission level would that require?

Best regards

Régis