[QGIS-Developer] QGIS 4.0 - let's start some early discussions!

Denis Rouzaud denis.rouzaud at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 03:58:07 PDT 2019

Hi Nyall,

Thanks for raising this.

Le mar. 25 juin 2019 à 11:42, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> a
écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> Following conversation from https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/30234, I
> think it would be beneficial if we start the conversation happening
> about QGIS 4.0, and to throw some thoughts about timelines out there.
>
> **Before anyone panics -- I'm expecting multi-year time frames here!
> But I think we should START this discussion, and have at least some
> idea of the time frames we're all aiming toward for a future 4.0
> release.**
>
> For reference: Qt upstream has previously hinted at November 2020 for
> Qt 6, at which stage support for 5.x will be dropped. Discussions so
> far are moving toward Qt 6 being a "gentle" cleaning, so there's
> likely (hopefully?) not a lot we'll be forced to do to adapt to this.
>
> I think we should aim for a similar goal -- a "gentle" API break, as
> opposed to the huge-clean-and-break-everything-we-possibly-can
> approach we took for 3.x (with good reason!).
>
> Thoughts?

Personaly, I'd like to decide wether we stick to PyQt6 or move to Python
for Qt and its shiboken for QGIS 4.
That would be the occasion to drop sipify for something a bit more robust
(hum).
Investigations shall be pursued to see if we can safely move to Qt without
any issue, but I guess that's hard to tell without trying.

Denis