[QGIS-Developer] QGIS 4.0 - let's start some early discussions!

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 04:13:22 PDT 2019

Hi

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 11:42 AM Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:

> For reference: Qt upstream has previously hinted at November 2020 for
> Qt 6, at which stage support for 5.x will be dropped. Discussions so
> far are moving toward Qt 6 being a "gentle" cleaning, so there's
> likely (hopefully?) not a lot we'll be forced to do to adapt to this.
>
> I think we should aim for a similar goal -- a "gentle" API break, as
> opposed to the huge-clean-and-break-everything-we-possibly-can
> approach we took for 3.x (with good reason!).
>
> Thoughts?

Yeah it would make sense to align QGIS 4 with a jump in technology
(i.e. Qt5 -> Qt6). Maybe we could also investigate the option to use
Qt for Python (which is now a fully supported part of Qt) and free us
from PyQt and SIP (but the question still to be answered is whether Qt
for Python is at least as good as PyQt implementation).

For timing how about something like "not earlier than in 2 years and
not later than in 4 years" :-)

My observation is that lots of people are still using 2.x as we kind
of made people scared of upgrading (due to the API changes, missing
plugins etc.) and they got quite conservative. As people only now
slowly move to 3.x I think that's another reason why we should not
push for a 4.0 release too early.

In any case, this is a very useful discussion to have - and get
everyone on the same page.

Cheers
Martin