[QGIS-Developer] Adding "Requirements" as optional field/entry/line in metadata.txt

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 05:49:45 PDT 2019

Hi

As a user when searching and browsing for a plugin in QGIS extension
manager or on the website https://plugins.qgis.org/ , I think users
should be informed before hand about the requirements, dependencies
and restrictions of a plugin.

These are possible requirements, dependencies and restrictions which
come to my mind: The plugin...
* is running only on one platform
* is depending on some other SW to be installed separately (because
it's not included in the QGIS installation),
* requires some registration or account.

My suggestion is to add an optional field/entry/line in metadata.txt
called "Requirements" where requirements, dependencies and
restrictions are to be described.

This entry would be mandatory if there exist such requirements. Some
dependencies and restrictions could potentially even be potentially
validated automatically.

:Stefan

P.S. I actually also thought about adding a "spatial extends"
attribute in metadata.txt in order to indicate that this plugin only
works for some specific countries or regions. But for now I'd just
prefer that the chapter "Recommendations" on
https://plugins.qgis.org/publish/ is being extended to mention that
spatial limitations to be mentioned in the plugin description!