[QGIS-Developer] Consistent Ordering (and terms) for buttons in dialogs

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Sun May 12 17:03:15 PDT 2019

Hi List,

There seems to be some inconsistent ordering and usage of the buttons on
dialogs. Does QGIS have developer guidelines on this?

Largely it's fairly consistent but sometimes button orders seem
incongruous. Also the use of "Cancel" versus "Close".

For example, Raster > "Raster Calculator" has: Ok, Cancel, Help

Raster > "Align Rasters": Ok, Close, Help

All the other data processing tools I looked at (not all) (Vector and
Raster menus) were consistent:  Run, Close, Help

Data Source Manager: (other buttons), Close, Add, Help

Add new service/database dialog: Ok, Cancel, Help

CRS Dialog: Ok, Cancel, Help

Project settings: OK, Cancel, Apply, Help

Style Manager: Close, Help

----

The ones that particularly jump out at me are:

* "Align Raster" using "close" not "cancel"

* Project Settings has an "Apply" but "Options" doesn't.

* Apply and Add seem to come after cancel/close but ok/run always comes
before. Shouldn't add/apply be to the left?

* Data processing tools seem like they should be "Cancel" as they're
Do/Do-Not dialogs.

These are minor things but consistency in the UI makes the application
much easier to use as it lowers the cognitive burden on the user.

(3.4.3)

Cheers,

Jonathan