[QGIS-Developer] QGIS server and metadata

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Sat Nov 2 02:34:56 PDT 2019

Hi Nyall,

Il 2019-11-01 06:52 Nyall Dawson ha scritto:
> On Fri, 1 Nov 2019 at 02:42, Alessandro Pasotti <apasotti at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> IMO what is missing here is a bridge between the new metadata API in
>> QGIS core and the "old" QGIS server metadata API.
>
> It was always a deliberate choice to keep these two separate. The
> thinking was that the metadata you use for your local projects and
> layers isn't necessarily going to match what you want to publish and
> advertise to external users. You might have sensitive information in
> there, or just "internal only" details which you don't want/need to
> publish.
>
> I think all that's missing here is a button to auto-populate server
> metadata by copying it from the project or layer metadata. It'd give a
> quick way to initial populate the published metadata, which you could
> then tweak as needed...

I see your point, thanks for the explanation. I'm not sure users need
different info on the desktop and on the server (we solved the issue for
services just adding an option to hide WMS, WFS services, as well as
individual fields), but of course more flexibility is not bad to have.
Not clear to me also how to add the metadata directly to the server.

Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu