[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-psc] Direct push forbidden to master

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 01:39:28 PST 2019

On Fri, 8 Nov 2019 at 19:04, Denis Rouzaud <denis.rouzaud at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm with Jürgen on this, I think we all are responsible developers
>> acting for the good of QGIS and I didn't see any abuse on direct commits
>> in the past few years.
>

> While not strictly talking about abuse, there has been quite a few direct push commits which broke the CI.
> That generally meant looking at someone else work to fix things, sometimes by several persons at the same time.
> It also means all last PRs jobs that have to be restarted.
> It gives a bad image/impression.
> It's frustrating.
>
> One saves himself about one hour time to see his work integrated in the final branch.
> All the good soldiers in the Travis queue are good for a restart

I'm +1 to forced use of pull requests and no direct pushes to master.
The reality is that breakage of CI today cost me quite a lot of wasted
time, when I had a very narrow window to make some bug fixes and see
that they would pass the CI tests before leaving for FOSS4G Oceania
next week.

My view is that it's just not a fair practice for other community
members -- while it avoids the submitter having to wait for the CI
checks to pass, the cost is the risk of causing large disruption to
many other developer's work.

If we all play nice and follow this practice then everyone is
following the same rules. If we relax it and allow force pushes from
some developers then we have inequality. And if we relax it for
everyone, we go back to the anarchy which development was in the early
2.x days (just thinking back on this gives me nightmares. I honestly
can't believe now looking back that we all (myself included) used to
push 1k+ line feature changes direct to master with zero code review
or CI tests. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee)

Nyall