[QGIS-Developer] LTR management [was Re: Delaying 3.10.1?]

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Sat Nov 23 02:37:55 PST 2019

On 11/23/19 9:05 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> IMHO the LTR should be as stable as possible, so I agree that changing
> things now it's unfortunate.

Changing dependencies are pretty much inevitable, LTR needs to adapt to
those or become unusable which defeats the purpose of LTR.

PROJ 6 & GDAL 3 are major changes and updating distributions when QGIS
3.10 supports them well is good time do migrate to them.

We're in the process to migrate to PROJ 6 and GDAL 3 in Debian as well,
we've had PROJ 6 in testing/unstable for a while now and GDAL 3
hopefully follows after the ongoing python3.8 transition. We'll have
QGIS 3.4 LTR built with that for now, until we switch the package to
3.10 once that becomes the new LTR and have the qgis package make full
use of PROJ 6 & GDAL 3.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--