[QGIS-Developer] LTR management [was Re: Delaying 3.10.1?]

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 04:36:48 PST 2019

Hey,

I know it has been said before, but changing the GDAL/Proj version of the
LTR versions is really a no go. It's a breaking change in terms of possible
breakages and just increases risks on a version we need to stay stable.

We are communicating to users they should use the LTR because it's stable
but changing the major dependencies under the hood with new versions breaks
this trust and message.  It would be like changing the Qt version inside an
LTR point release, we just can't do it because it's a full major change
with massive impacts.   The risk of the LTR running on older stacks is seen
as a net positive not a negative when it comes to stability for users.
 The moment we break this trust we lose all the work past work we have put
in to communicate this message, trust is hard to gain and easy to lose.

I'm not sure what the solution here is because I know OSGeo4w doesn't
really support that kind of separation yet but if we have a way to fund
this kind of work I would really like us to consider it (unsure the state
of the budget but this one is critical IMO).  It's going to be an ongoing
issue and something that will always have to be resolved with each LTR as
it moves away from the nightlies with the  dependencies  changing.   I wish
I had the skills and time to help fix this but at the moment all I can
offer is my concern.

Regards,
Nathan