[QGIS-Developer] LTR management [was Re: Delaying 3.10.1?]

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Thu Nov 28 00:02:03 PST 2019

Hi all,

I enjoy reading the discussion on this tricky topic. Thank you for
looking into this!

What would be the precise plan of action?

The situation is, a new QGIS 3.4.13 release based on gdal3/proj6 is out
already. We cannot make that undone unless we get out the message to
forget that 3.4.13 ever existed and ask everyone to reinstall 3.4.12.

I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to setup a system somewhere to build
with the old gdal and proj libraries to create the remaining standalone
installers to push out the remaining three 3.4 releases (manually). With
LTR we have built a brand with a very good reputation and I think we
should protect this label and avoid any controversial communication if
reasonably possible.

It's possible that I am underestimating the work which would be required
to do this, but in my opinion this would be a good opportunity to do an
ad-hoc investment into Jürgen (given that he has some of his precious
time left to actually work on this and that he does not completely
disagree with me).

Best regards

Matthias