[QGIS-Developer] LTR management [was Re: Delaying 3.10.1?]

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Thu Nov 28 01:05:53 PST 2019

Thanks for all the comments on this

On 11/28/19 9:50 AM, Régis Haubourg wrote:

> Hi all,
> Le jeu. 28 nov. 2019 à 09:02, Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch
> <mailto:matthias at opengis.ch>> a écrit :
>
>     [..]
>
>     With LTR we have built a brand with a very good reputation and I
>     think we should protect this label and avoid any controversial
>     communication if reasonably possible.
>
>     [..]
>
>     Matthias
>

> Well, I really second Matthias's point of view here.
> This may weaken our message about LTR long term support. Many
> corporations are *just* migrating to it now and we have hard time
> convincing them to stick with LTR versions so that they can fund and
> benefit of fixes during the LTR lifespan. I'm afraid that freezing it
> now will upset some of them.
>
> If the options of building a dedicated OSGEO4W installer with old GDAL
> and proj is feasable, I am really really +1 on this.

Originally I wasn't even thinking about an OSGeo4W installer, I was
simply hoping for standalone installers. But if OSGeo4W double-packaging
is feasible, that would be the cherry on top.

> Anyway, it is a major change and I totally understand the situation.
> Many thanks again for digging into constructive solutions.
> If we explain largely the benefits of PROJ6, I am confident most users
> will understand the move, and a 3 months wait is not a long wait for
> fixes.
>
> As soon as we have a clear view on the strategy, I think we MUST
> communicate widely. We can also ask for support for this, though it
> will not be an easy message.

I agree, this would be perfectly served in a post including all the
advantages of proj6 which have been widely distributed on tech channels,
but went by unnoticed by a large audience. Spreading the word about this
bundled with the effects on the gis ecosystem would make a very good news.

Regards

Matthias