[QGIS-Developer] LTR management [was Re: Delaying 3.10.1?]

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Thu Nov 28 01:56:01 PST 2019

Hi Andreas,

On Thu, 28. Nov 2019 at 09:11:07 +0100, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> Thanks all for the discussion.

> I would like to hear Jürgen's opinion on it was well. If possible, I would
> also prefer Matthias approach. Our organization just recently introduced 3.4
> LTR (I know we are late ;-), we will probably move to 3.10 in mid 2020). It
> would be nice if the support of the 3.4 release could be a bit longer, until
> 3.10 takes over as LTR version.

> QGIS.ORG can fund Jürgen for this extra work for supporting two library
> versions in parallel, if Jürgen thinks this can be done with a reasonable
> amount of work (whatever this means ;-) )

I've been "playing" with appveyor (doesn't work - hits the 1h timeout),
azure-pipelines (which kind of works) and github workflows (which does not yet
work) to implement the Windows CI many people are keen on.  Progress is very
slow - every single step takes ages…   A successful run takes more than 2-3h on
azure-pipelines…   Caching would help, but hits disk space limits.  github
workflows currently needs 0.5h to hit the first obstacle (ie. first compiler
invocation).

I could probably have done "fix windows build" commits of a life time with less
effort ;)

Anyway, introducing proj5 and gdal2 packages could work - but not without
shifting the point release date again.

And that's only considering QGIS.  GRASS and spatialite are now using PROJ 6
too.  Not sure if that can be made to work together as is or whether we'd need
separate packages for those too.

Duplicating the osgeo4w repositories for this and rolling the fork back to the
previous state could be an option too - the old packages are still there - but
that would break the packaging routines.   People using the osgeo4w installer
would also need to change the URL to get it.   So that's not very appealing
either.

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden            https://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode