[QGIS-Developer] 3.10.0 in hard freeze, should we branch master as unfreeze for 3.12?

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Mon Oct 14 02:01:59 PDT 2019

On Mon, 14. Oct 2019 at 09:14:58 +0200, Denis Rouzaud wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I don't have a strong opinion, but it would be good to have pros and cons
> to decide.
>
> Jürgen, since you are the release manager, are you saying it's not a good
> idea (why?) or rather that you have to modify the procedure (meaning more
> work)?

The only gain I see is that we can just continue working on master earlier.

Branching off also means that we have to put the new version number on that
branch prior to the actual release.   The nightly build scripts will not expect
to see a new branch and handle it like it as if it was a new release.   When to
merge and how to update translations in the meantime is also unclear (transifex
is tied to the branches we current have).

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden            https://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode