[QGIS-Developer] Should --noplugins disable provider plugins as well ?

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 07:05:56 PDT 2019

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 3:59 PM Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> wrote:

> While chasing a [crash at startup](
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/31350)
> I found that the --noplugins commandline switch does not prevent QGIS
> from loading provider plugins from the plugins directory.
>
> This mail is to ask if you think it should skip those plugins as well.
>
> In my case a set of old/invalid plugins resulted in such crash.
>
> So, what do you think, should I enhance --noplugins to skip those
> loads as well ?

I think that the root of the confusion is that we call "plugins" three
different objects:
- python plugins
- data providers
- C++ plugins

I think that --noplugins should only skip python (and C++?) plugins and
frankly I don't see a use case for not loading data providers.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it