[QGIS-Developer] Should --noplugins disable provider plugins as well ?

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Tue Sep 17 07:19:14 PDT 2019

On 9/17/19 4:05 PM, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 3:59 PM Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io
> <mailto:strk at kbt.io>> wrote:
>
>     While chasing a [crash at
>     startup](https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/31350)
>     I found that the --noplugins commandline switch does not prevent QGIS
>     from loading provider plugins from the plugins directory.
>
>     This mail is to ask if you think it should skip those plugins as well.
>
>     In my case a set of old/invalid plugins resulted in such crash.
>
>     So, what do you think, should I enhance --noplugins to skip those
>     loads as well ?
>

> I think that the root of the confusion is that we call "plugins" three
> different objects:
> - python plugins
> - data providers
> - C++ plugins
>
> I think that --noplugins should only skip python (and C++?) plugins
> and frankly I don't see a use case for not loading data providers.

Agreed.

QGIS is still pretty powerful without plugins. Whereas QGIS is pretty
much useless without providers.

Broken plugins are quite common. Broken providers something that only
ever happens on a few dev machines.

I think disabling providers would turn something that is currently a
last resort backup plan into a "break my QGIS completely" option.

If anything, a --noproviders option could be added, but I wonder if it's
really worth the effort.

Best regards
Matthias