[QGIS-Developer] Should --noplugins disable provider plugins as well ?

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Tue Sep 17 07:40:57 PDT 2019

On 9/17/19 4:29 PM, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 04:19:14PM +0200, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
>> On 9/17/19 4:05 PM, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:
>>> I think that --noplugins should only skip python (and C++?) plugins and
>>> frankly I don't see a use case for not loading data providers.
>> QGIS is still pretty powerful without plugins. Whereas QGIS is pretty much
>> useless without providers.
> The use case would be this one I'm reporting: QGIS crashes, and users
> are asked to run it in a "simplified" way to check if the crash is due
> to some plugins.

Concerning changing the behaviour of --noplugins, my perception is, that
there's a difference between user installed 3rd party plugins (much more
likely to break the system) and a provider which is always deployed with
QGIS itself and in 99.9% of all the cases rock solid.

>> If anything, a --noproviders option could be added, but I wonder if it's
>> really worth the effort.
> There was another bug report for startup-crash which was filed
> on May 21 2019 and never fixed (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/29930)
As far as I can see, in this report it wasn't even requested to run with
--noplugins.
> Anything that can improve debugging could be useful ?

Let's assume it would have actually been identified that it's a provider
which caused the crash (which already is a question in itself). What
would be the next step? Wouldn't it be easier to ask him to move the
dlls one by one to another place to check if and which provider is
responsible?

I won't block any work on a --noproviders parameter, I just wonder if
it's really worth the effort.

Matthias