[QGIS-Developer] Should --noplugins disable provider plugins as well ?

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Tue Sep 17 07:51:21 PDT 2019

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 04:40:57PM +0200, Matthias Kuhn wrote:

> Concerning changing the behaviour of --noplugins, my perception is, that
> there's a difference between user installed 3rd party plugins (much more
> likely to break the system) and a provider which is always deployed with
> QGIS itself and in 99.9% of all the cases rock solid.

Why am I so unlikely to always be in that 0.1% ? ...

> As far as I can see, in this report it wasn't even requested to run with
> --noplugins.

You're right, Giovanni's hint was to actually _remove_ the plugins:
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/29930#issuecomment-495908026

> Let's assume it would have actually been identified that it's a provider
> which caused the crash (which already is a question in itself). What would
> be the next step? Wouldn't it be easier to ask him to move the dlls one by
> one to another place to check if and which provider is responsible?

Yes, that's how it was fixed for me.

BTW, I noticed in code that a QGIS_PROVIDER_FILE env variable can be
set to contain a regexp matching provider plugins. If, as you say,
provider plugins are 99.9% shipped with QGIS, how about making that
file-pattern hard-coded to match actual plugins ? Because in my case
I think the crash came from loading a file not containing "provider"
in the name.

With a clean install I get 15 files under plugins/ matching *provider*
and 13 NOT matching it.

--strk;