[QGIS-Developer] Should --noplugins disable provider plugins as well ?

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Tue Sep 17 08:15:10 PDT 2019

On 9/17/19 4:51 PM, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 04:40:57PM +0200, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
>> Concerning changing the behaviour of --noplugins, my perception is, that
>> there's a difference between user installed 3rd party plugins (much more
>> likely to break the system) and a provider which is always deployed with
>> QGIS itself and in 99.9% of all the cases rock solid.
> Why am I so unlikely to always be in that 0.1% ? ...

If we assume that < 0.1% of all QGIS users are developers who compile
themselves that explains the stats ;)

> BTW, I noticed in code that a QGIS_PROVIDER_FILE env variable can be
> set to contain a regexp matching provider plugins. If, as you say,
> provider plugins are 99.9% shipped with QGIS, how about making that
> file-pattern hard-coded to match actual plugins ? Because in my case
> I think the crash came from loading a file not containing "provider"
> in the name.

Not sure, I've never played with that. Might make sense. What does the
commit message say from when it was introduced?

But actually, couldn't this existing variable be already used now to
filter providers fine grained without an additional parameter?

Feel free to proceed with a parameter as well :)

Matthias