[QGIS-Developer] Should --noplugins disable provider plugins as well ?

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Tue Sep 17 08:23:28 PDT 2019

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 05:15:10PM +0200, Matthias Kuhn wrote:

> Not sure, I've never played with that. Might make sense. What does the
> commit message say from when it was introduced?

not much:

  commit 3b00dc12583ebcd6148a22fa36c61c0e2a18f7bb
  Author: Radim Blazek <radim.blazek at gmail.com>
  Date:   Mon May 11 15:31:29 2015 +0200

      QGIS_PROVIDER_FILE: provider regexp pattern environment variable

Radim: do you remember the rationale for this ?

> But actually, couldn't this existing variable be already used now to filter
> providers fine grained without an additional parameter?

You have a point...

I'm just thinking if we should have that variable default to
*provider*. Is there a use-case for third-party providers that would
break if we hard-coded a pattern ?

--strk;