[QGIS-Developer] QGIS qgis_editor_widget_styles

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 12:46:34 PDT 2019

On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 at 05:04, Régis Haubourg
<regis.haubourg at oslandia.com> wrote:

> On 17/09/2019 19:23, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 06:28:15PM +0200, Régis Haubourg wrote:
> >> Hi Sandro,
> >>
> >> I don't have the details but faced an issue some months ago:
> >> http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/QGIS-Developer-qgis-editor-widget-styles-table-what-is-it-How-to-create-it-td5406166.html
> >>
> >> Nyall gives some pointer to the code there.
> > What strikes me is that QGIS is querying a table but never creates
> > that. The pointers found in that thread are not saying what's supposed
> > to create that table. I see possible optimizations implying schema
> > qualification, for example, but since I don't know what creates that
> > table I can't tell if schema can be predictable or we have to rely
> > on search_path to find it...
>
> Yep, I share your concern. maybe Patrick could explain this as the
> author of that feature?

My (very shaky) understanding is that it's designed for some
administrator to setup in advance, and isn't exposed anywhere in QGIS
ui.

But - to be harsh - this kind of hidden, implementation specific,
feature is the kind of thing we should be extremely wary of. Without
any documentation or publicly accessible explanation of how it works
it's of extremely limited use to QGIS users. At the minimum it should
have been accompanied by a documentation PR explaining how it should
be used.

Googling "qgis_editor_widget_styles" gives no clues at all.

Nyall