[QGIS-Developer] sudden performance issues with my QGIS installation

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 05:49:12 PST 2020

On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 1:58 PM Jeff McKenna
<jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> As a user, I wonder (out loud) if the Browser Panel should be hidden by
> default, in future QGIS versions.  This would avoid this common issue of
> slowing down QGIS for new users, and give the new user a guaranteed
> positive QIGS first-use experience.  Has there been any discussion on
> this possibility?  I was surprised to read here that it is the opposite
> case, where devs are promoting use of the browser panel more and more.
>
> I just thought that I'd share my longtime-user opinion, and hopefully
> not sound too negative.  I just feel disabling the browser panel by
> default would prevent so many issues for new users (and the advanced
> users can turn it on for their use when they need it).  So, benefit the
> new users, and cause the devs an extra button click to enable :)
>
> Related: when I give QGIS training, it is the first thing I instruct, to
> close the browser panel as it causes network issues often.
>
> thanks,
>
> -jeff

IMO this is not an option, the only option I see is to fix the slow
folders to a separate thread in case it is not yet the case.

Fyi the browser tree is not only used in the browser panel but also in
the data source select dialog and in other places too.

Kind regards

--
Alessandro Pasotti
QCooperative:  www.qcooperative.net