[QGIS-Developer] Nominatim integration in QGIS

Mathieu Pellerin nirvn.asia at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 19:14:18 PST 2020

Greetings,

FYI, I’ve just opened a PR[1] integrating the Nominatim geocoder into QGIS
through a dedicated locator filter and an algorithm to do batch geocoding.
The Nominatim’s endpoint used is the one run by the OpenStreetMap
Foundation (OSMF).

Throughout the development of these features, steps were taken to ensure
the integration  adheres to the OSMF usage policy. This meant:
- Adding a mechanism to our locator filters to delay fetching of results to
avoid ‘auto completion’ queries at every keystroke;
- Throttling the number of queries made to OSMF’ endpoint to one request
per second;
- Insuring fair visibility/acknowledgment of the origin and license of the
fetched data;
- Zero-effort: our network access manager already insures a
QGIS-identifiable User-Agent, required by OSMF.

Marco, in striving to be the best possible open source citizen, I think it
would be good to send a formal request seeking permission from OSMF to go
ahead and merge these features. Would it be possible for you, as chair of
the QGIS.org association, to send an email to the OSMF/Nominatim folks on
this?

Best,

Mathieu Pellerin

[1] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/40669