[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-psc] Documentation bot

Denis Rouzaud denis.rouzaud at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 21:24:44 PST 2020

Hi Harrissou,

No worries, I have been more focused on technical matters up to now, but I
was indeed expecting some room for improvements. There was a bit of a
stress to provide reports for the grant proposal, but it was clearly a call
for discussion, sorry not to state it clearly.

Le mar. 7 janv. 2020 à 02:59, DelazJ <delazj at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks Denis for the work.
> I might be missing some key points because comparing the generated reports
> from the two systems, I'm sorry I feel like it's instead a regression. Alow
> me to explain:
>
> 1. For the same feature merged in the code, see old system report [0] vs
> new system's [1]. From a doc writer perspective, I get more information
> from the first one than the second.

I see. So following Nyall's suggestion:
1. Copy description
2. Copy commit message of commits having [needs-doc] (similarly to now)

> 2. Another point is that milestone is what we use to filter issues reports
> and manage the docs schedule, so if it's not set by the developer (assuming
> that the dev knows the milestone to indicate), someone has to do it
> manually in the generated report. With the current system, when we enter a
> new development cycle, we (Richard and myself) set the new milestone (for
> LTR) and the target version label [2] and then, every generated report is
> automatically filled with these information at their creation. Done once
> and nobody cares about anymore. Until the next release.
> This new system means devs "should" enter that information for each
> doc-related PR. I can't count the number of times I made a remind for the
> [needs-docs] label, and the PR was merged without...

I see.
So, you take the assumption that any request for documentation happens in
the current release and not in the past.
I guess it might make sense and that it would still be possible to handle
manually the case.
I will see if I can do some nice grepping of the CMakeLists (or as Matthias
suggested max(release-x_y)+2 ) to calculate labels and milestone.

> 3. What is meant by "developers should take care of it"? When/where will
> the details of the feature be available? If the dev wants to write about
> his changes in our docs, OK. Otherwise, are we not overloading their
> workload while they could have provided the necessary bits in the commit
> message, as they should be doing currently.
> What I understood from the proposal is that developers will be encouraged
> to detail their feature in the PR message, the place they sell their
> feature to others, using a simple and accessible language. And then, at the
> merge time, the message of the PR (with maybe screenshots) will be copied
> to the generated report in docs, allowing writers to see what the feature
> is. Did I misunderstand or have the options changed meanwhile?

I will update the message explaining how the bot works and that the PR
author should document in the description.
And there, if you have any improvement to make as text changes feel free to
go ahead.

Denis