[QGIS-Developer] Environmental policy

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Thu Jan 16 03:21:12 PST 2020

Hi all,
following the interesting proposal by Andreas, I'm here starting a
discussion about QGIS.ORG environmental policy:

* do we need an explicit environmental policy?
* probably our greatest impact is travel for Developers Meetings
  * do we need in person general meetings, or we can promote more
extensive and structured use of remote connections?
  * if we need it, do we need two meetings per year?
  * do we want to plan our meetings in an optimal location, to minimize
total travel?
  * do we want a combination between the two: smaller local meetings
that reduce travel, coordinated across the globe?
  * do we want to suggest|gently push|require participants to use low
impact transportation?
  * do we want a cap on cost and time difference between transportation
method? e.g. train is to be used when cost or duration are no more than
x times flight cost or duration
* do we want to engage in proactive environmental actions? e.g. donating
to the environmental agencies|NGOs|etc. specific tools to evaluate and
reduce impact? e.g. a QGIS ad hoc grant with a specific budget for it
* do we want additional actions? e.g. low impact (vegan) diet on Dev
Meetings?

I tried to collect options and ideas, please do not take these as my
personal preferences.
Given the wide interest and impact of this theme, I encourage an open
and friendly discussion involving also non PSC members. Please be gentle.
Following this I'll call for a vote on specific items.
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair: