[QGIS-Developer] Environmental policy

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Thu Jan 16 05:52:56 PST 2020

Hi all.

Il 16/01/20 14:39, Andreas Neumann ha scritto:

>>    * do we want a cap on cost and time difference between transportation
>> method? e.g. train is to be used when cost or duration are no more than
>> x times flight cost or duration
> We don't want a lot of bureaucracy or a "travel police" ;-) we should
> trust on common sense and the good will of our participants. I think
> most QGIS people are environmentally sensitive anyway.

I don't understand this. The question was (sorry if unclear):
should we only reimburse train travel, whathever the cost and the
duration, or this should be done until a certain difference?
e.g. (numbers made up)
train 10 h, 100 € | flight 8 h, 80 € > train
train 20 h, 300 € | flight 23 h, 50 € > flight

>> * do we want to engage in proactive environmental actions? e.g. donating
>> to the environmental agencies|NGOs|etc. specific tools to evaluate and
>> reduce impact? e.g. a QGIS ad hoc grant with a specific budget for it
>
> No. Definitely no donations from our donations. That's not the purpose
> of QGIS.ORG.

again, I was probably unclear. the purpose of QGIS.ORG is certainly to
provide the best GIS tools to everyone. as a direct contribution towards
a more sustainable planet we could donate tools especially useful to
plan and reduce impacts.

Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu