[QGIS-Developer] Environmental policy

Falk Huettmann fhuettmann at alaska.edu
Thu Jan 16 09:38:32 PST 2020

Dear Kind Colleagues,
...may I suggest to add GLOBAL PEACE & WAR issues to this QGIS
discussion on environmental questions ?

Arguably, ArcGIS was part-created and promoted by the U.S. military,
industry etc.
and recent drone applications all rely on GIS work either way.
Any public development on 'mapping' will directly affect those subjects
(see here for instance for an example of hidden double-development
https://www.icarus.mpg.de/en ).

One cannot separate out those topics from the environment and
sustainability, or a better lifestyle.

And yes,
 most people spend rather their times with bunnies and donkeys than with
tigers and predators  (try it out for yourself if in doubt).

Kindly from Alaska
   Falk Huettmann

PS A typical example how this all is connected,  and for the role of GIS
sits in the Himalaya where glacier mapping and river maps relate
to food security (rice) and warfare, e.g. Afghanistan. Entire drug wars are
relying on such a 'recci'.
Other examples are found with submarines etc.