[QGIS-Developer] Environmental policy

Denis Rouzaud denis.rouzaud at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 02:07:30 PST 2020

Hi all,

I would just like to say I am totally in favor of having an environmental
policy which would just state that we are acting and considering
environmental issues in our work.

I am totally supporting the idea of promoting the train for reachable
places and try to avoid too disconnected places.
It might be very difficult to come up with a strict formula, and I would
say it makes more sense to evaluate this per meeting?
Also, the idea of 1 longer meeting makes sense, since that's the easiest
way to reduce the moves. Promoting secondary and/or simultaneous events in
other places (by sponsoring them too) would be nice too.

I also believe that personal meetups are essential to our community, maybe
because the beer or any non-alcoholic beverage doesn't go through fiber
channels.

That makes me jump to my last point: I don't see that bringing an
environmental policy is an open door to ethical or political matters.
Mainly because they are totally different things: environmental issues are
scientific facts while ethics or politics are tight to human cultures and
beliefs.

Things are moving fast lately, and we'll be / we are being judged by our
children, and....promoting the train is the very least we can do.
People are still free to to do whatever they prefer. I guess for now (half
kidding, half serious).

Anyway, thanks Andreas for raising this discussion and shaking us. And PSC
for making the discussion continue.

Best wishes,
Denis