[QGIS-Developer] Environmental policy

Falk Huettmann fhuettmann at alaska.edu
Mon Jan 20 11:24:27 PST 2020

Dear Colleagues,

thanks;

three things, if I may add them here. I think they do matter:

-train-location events sound great, but have no good global meaning. Most
continents cannot be reached by or from trains (think planes, ships or
others).
 One way or another, you need to think global, and where most users sit
(outside of the EU ?). I would think without U.S., China, Africa, Latin
America or India QGIS has no good future. And how about Aussi and New
Zealand ?
 So I propose cyber sessions instead.

-same applies to the definition and use of GIS: it's global now and must
include all aspects, warfare and environmental atmospheric issues (that
includes IPCC for instance).
 Feel free to think about 'space NASA' issues too.

-Overall, QGIS now grew big, but it then faces truly global issues. It's
better to tackle them and be aware.
Otherwise, QGIS will go down and be replaced (see what happened to SPANS,
SAGA or GRASS earlier, and watch GIS in R for that matter, or python)

One way forward here would be to acknowledge those issues and start with a
holistic and effective vision statement including those things above.
Then you can try to tackle them on more individual sections, but not losing
the wider context.

Those would be my 3 cents on the issue; hope it helps.

Very best

      Falk Huettmann