[QGIS-Developer] QGIS Server and the Grants programme

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Mon Jun 8 23:24:52 PDT 2020

On 6/9/20 1:18 AM, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> Something else to consider is whether technologies like WMS are
> ultimately just "dead end" technologies now,

Definitely not agreeing here :-)

> and possibly we'd be
> better off focusing on client side rendering of vector features from a
> server (QGIS or other), and providing a library which can do
> client-side rendering of vector tiles from QGIS symbology in as close
> to 1:1 as possible...

For full blown nice reference maps or aerials  WM(T)S is still the way
to go. For simpler reference maps like Google, vector tiles will be...

Building a QGIS rendering engine in a browser, will always be behind (IF
it will ever reach the same amount of features).

In my view the unique selling point of QGIS Desktop/Server combi is (or
should be) the ease to create beautiful maps easily on a desktop and
then publish them (including metadata) to a server/service...
Just like our commercial brother does with it's services.

And mind you: while not perfect WMS/WFS are real standards understood
and used by a lot of servers and clients.

Vector tiles are great (or at least promising), but I've not seen any
client-side cartographic rendering of them yet.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde