[QGIS-Developer] QGIS Server and the Grants programme

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Jun 8 23:53:00 PDT 2020

Fully agreed with Richard here.

OGC standards are important and even required by law. Other protocols
are ok though, if they are in addition. If they prove to better in the
future than OGC, then they might eventually replace the former. But
first, they would have to prove good interoperability and that they are
better.

Regarding vector styles:

I hadn't seen a complex, convincing vector style client-side rendering
yet. Mapbox and Maptiler come closest - but even these two are "mickey
mouse" maps compared to what national mapping agencies in our countries
established in quality over decades in their printed and raster map
product lines.

In our country, Swisstopo (the national mapping provider) experimented
with vector tiles. The result:

 	* it renders slower than the raster tile maps
 	* the CPU of the client is busier than with raster tiles
 	* the cartographic quality is disappointing. Many years away from the
original raster tile quality

The main advantage of vector tiles would be that the user could switch
colors - but did you ever have the need to switch colors in a we map?
Defacing a map where cartographers spent a lot of time figuring out the
correct color combos?

Replicating QGIS rendering for vector tiles outside of QGIS in a totally
separate technology from qt rendering would be an interesting project,
but would always be different, lagging and would be a lot of effort. But
if someone finds a sponsor for that, it could be interesting.

Andreas