[QGIS-Developer] QGIS startup time, Loading of Processing

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 02:27:51 PDT 2020

On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 at 19:22, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Given that the initialization of the Processing plugin takes around 2/3 of the QGIS startup time, I wonder if we can discuss how to improve the situation?
>
> Can there be a "delayed" or "on demand" loading of processing if the user needs it?
>
> Quite a lot of users use QGIS for viewing or editing, without any need for analysis. I know that they could disable the processing plugin or use a different user profile where the plugin is disabled, but ...
>
> Is there something that we could do as QGIS developers to speed up, delay or on-demand load the processing plugin?

Yes, I think there's lots we could do. But I'd love to see a
screenshot of the new startup time profiler for one of your affected
slow-to-start machines.

Typically the culprit is the GRASS and SAGA providers, where they load
algorithms from 100s of text files. File access like this on Windows
is very slow, so I think the easiest thing to try first would be if we
concatenate all the definitions into a single master text file...

Nyall