[QGIS-Developer] QGIS for Apple: Intel vs. arm

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Jun 24 02:10:42 PDT 2020

Hi all, esp. Peter,

So I wonder what the new announcement of Apple switching everything from
Intel to arm architecture will mean for our project? According to Apple
they will switch all of their devices to arm over the next 2 years.

Will it be a lot of work to adapt the build system to the new processor
architecture? It will probably mean that we will need an additional Mac
build server for arm architecture in our infrastructure and will have to
provide packages for both systems for many years to come ...

Not so nice for us as a project - can we forward these costs to Apple
for that move?

Greetings,
Andreas