[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-tr] Concerns about translations and QGIS overall credibility

Alexandre Neto senhor.neto at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 16:06:13 PDT 2020

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 11:38 PM Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> What about a predefined allow list of "high quality translations"? And
> we'd only default to using the local language IF it's part of this
> predefined list...

That would be a nice idea if we can ensure that there are enough native
speakers available for doing the reviews and confirm that a certain
language is ok to go. It's a really hard job, and it's always on the move.
But, yes, maybe an overall appreciation could be enough to get the stamp of
quality.

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 11:42 PM Luigi Pirelli <luipir at gmail.com> wrote:

> As far as I know, the italian translation suffer the same problem, not
> about quality, but about resources to give continuity to translation work.
> Spanish community, instead, is more focused in translations (different
> official languages) than in features or bugfixing.

Please notice that my worries are not the lack of translation of many
strings, that is kind of ok to me. The problem are the badly translated
ones.

The move to transifex made the translations available to many more
translators, and we got more strings translated, but... while the
QtLinguist translations had in some cases the GUI as context, transifex
doesn't.

Besides, at least in Portuguese, some people are more worried in quantity
than in quality. Unfortunately, Transifex don't make it easy to find all
the translation done by a bad translator... at least that I know of.

Alex