[QGIS-Developer] Concerns about translations and QGIS overall credibility

Bo Victor Thomsen bo.victor.thomsen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 02:39:53 PDT 2020

Dear developers:

As a former translator of the Danish version of QGIS I have a few - very
personal, perhaps a bit caustic - comments:

  * The transfer from using QT linqguist to Transifex was a mistake from
    my POW. Without the user interface context is sometimes impossible
    to translate correctly. My method (around ver. 2.12) was to use a
    simple editor like notepad++ on the raw xml translator files and get
    a significant part of the job done. And afterward using QT-Linguist
    to get the difficult translations. From that standpoint Transifex is
    simply a delaying factor.
  * The translation effort is very important. Even in Denmark , where
    the population generally is competent in English, the majority of
    "ordinary" users prefer using QGIS with the Danish translation. I
    assume, that the situation is the same or more pressing for most
    countries.
  * The translation is difficult and time consuming and you are not
    being compensated for your effort. Throw some money or prestige
    after it. Even a small token would help.
  * Treat the translation effort with respect. Don't ridicule people's
    earnest efforts. Think how you would react If you were a rookie
    developer and the first reaction from an old shark was ridicule of
    your programming efforts ?
  * Make the translation stage a significant step in the development cycle.
  * Create a group or list of highly technical GIS related terms that is
    *not* to be translated. There is a lot of GIS terms that is English
    in origin, but haven't a well defined local translation. (With some
    hilarious results if they are translated). Not all translators is
    well versed in every aspect of GIS.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards

Bo Victor Thomsen