[QGIS-Developer] Concerns about translations and QGIS overall credibility

João Gaspar joao.f.r.gaspar at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 14:52:46 PDT 2020

Hi to all,
I share the same concern of Alexandre. I did a lot a translation in the
past. I started in 2014 and give a boost of in the pt_pt translations. At
the time I was unemployed and did a lot of the pt_pt translations until I
start to work.

I reduce my participation in translations since 2015 but recently I realise
as well that translation for pt_PT start to have a lot of words out of the
context and things that not make sense, in Docs and GUI. What I started to
do was after I had the permission of Warner and Jurgen to be a reviewer and
coordinator I start to review and block strings to reduce the "noise" in
translation but is a gigantic work for volunteer.

Jurgen about pt_pt and pt_br translations don't disrespect the Brazilian
community and their work, we have different approaches about translations.
Most of the times we have things called English foreign words that are
adopted in pt_PT because there isn´t a correct translation (ex.: snapping,
threshold) and sometimes doesn't sound very good in pt_PT. In pt_BR most of
the words are translated, but when these terms are used in pt_PT
translations Portuguese users don't understand the terms and turn more
difficult to learn and they eventually give up or switch back to English in
GUI and Documentation.

About what Raymond said, I as well with the help of Nelson translate the
Input App and Qfield and in the case of Input, help a lot to have the
screenshots because give some context.

I like as well the idea of installing English by default, or let the user
choose during or right after installation.

One of the things that Qt Linguist have and sometimes I try to use when I
do the translation is to have QGIS source code and open Qt Linguist to see
how strings stay on the dialogue through preview dialogue.

The first thought I had specific for pt_pt was to communicate to pt_pt
translations that are registered in Transifex. Block temporarily pt_pt
translation, review all the translated strings and then invite again all
users. This can help the job of reviewers and reduce the problem of out of
context texts.

A word technical dictionary (Glossary of transifex don't work very well but
is my opinion) can help as well.
And use the comments tabs of transifex, to share knowledge and discuss
strings, I try to do this inside transifex to communicate with other users
because the comments are saved and can be seen in the cause of future
doubts.

I hope that my thoughts help for this discussion. Stay safe.

Cheers,
João (aka James)

Raymond Nijssen <r.nijssen at terglobo.nl> escreveu no dia terça, 30/06/2020
à(s) 18:34: