[QGIS-Developer] Geopackage FID columns: i HATE them!!!!

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 23:03:56 PDT 2020

Hi list,

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are about geopackage FID
columns. Personally, I find them an absolute nightmare to deal with,
resulting in annoying (and dangerous) issues when trying to save
geopackage edits, such as
- field type issues: converting certain formats to geopackage fails,
because existing fields with name "fid" are of an incompatible type
with geopackage. Solution: manually uncheck the "fid" field from the
"save as" dialog.
- unique constraint violations: we've mostly fixed this in processing,
but it's still unfortunately really common to get failures when saving
edits to geopackage because some operation has resulted in duplicate
fids. This can be a nightmare to fix, if it's even possible to do so.

I personally HATE HATE HATE these columns, and would rather I never
saw them ever again. Does anyone else feel the same? If so, could we
potentially just permanently hide these columns from QGIS and avoid
all these dangerous issues for users?

Nyall