[QGIS-Developer] Geopackage FID columns: i HATE them!!!!

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Wed Mar 18 23:19:37 PDT 2020

Hi Nyall,

Similar thoughts here.

Not sure what a format wins from forcing people into using an integer
based primary key column.

I think ultimately it is the data producer's responsibility to assign
unique and sensible identifiers with meaningful names (aka primary keys)
to data.

All the fid_1, fid_2 etc columns after processing, all the troubles with
shifted columns because field indexes changed, all the extra effort to
clean up with these generated clutter ids ... So much wasted time that
no one will ever give us back.

If it was for me, may it rest in peace.

Matthias