[QGIS-Developer] GeoPackage - where are we -where do we go

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Fri May 8 02:51:33 PDT 2020

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 11:30 AM Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I wondered about the state of GeoPackage. Personally, cince it has been
> introduced to qgis and evenmore since it has been selected as the default
> format, I have never grown to fully and completely.
>
> I do not want to trigger a evangelical discussion here. I'd like to see
> where we are and what we can reasonably do to have a default file format
> which can be recommended with no bad feelings.

Thanks for starting this discussions, we clearly need a path forward.

I just added a note on one of the topics (and cut the rest):

[...]

> * The couple of corrupted files I have received over the years which
> could only be repaired by a command line "dump contents as sql and execute
> into new file"
>
>   I have not found a way to reproduce this. Some of them were produced by
> older qgis versions making it easy to violate foreign key constraints and
> hard to recover. This has been fixed.
>
>   Possible mitigation: offer a "repair" option in qgis. Through processing
> or "on the fly" upon detection.

If I'm not mistaken, the fix was to disable foreign key constraints
altogether for the whole QGIS application for all GPKGs, no questions asked.

This was IMHO a bad decision because it may turn a correct GPKG into a
corrupted GPKG.

A better approach in case of corrupted files would have probably been to
disable foreign constraints only in case a file is corrupted and restore
the constraints after the file has been repaired or, as you already
mentioned to offer an automatic or semi-automatic repair function.

Kind regards.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
QCooperative:  www.qcooperative.net