[QGIS-Developer] GeoPackage - where are we -where do we go

Tobias Wendorff tobias.wendorff at tu-dortmund.de
Fri May 8 05:16:05 PDT 2020

Hi Ismail,

Am 08.05.2020 um 14:04 schrieb Ismail Sunni:
> You can right-click on the gpkg file in the file browser panel and you
> can see the `Compact Database (VACUUM)`.

thanks for the hint, but I've disabled QGIS' file browser in our
environment (research department of University) and at home. Let me
explain the reason:

QGIS' file browser by default tries to scan ZIP files and other (big)
files. This had an noticeable effect on our network traffic and the
client performance. Via VPN (home office right now) this effect got even
worse, since the VPN performance is degraded, too. Also, we had some
crashes on student laptops while scanning many shapefiles in a
directory. I'm very afraid that someone will try a VACUUM over the
network (or over the VPN).

Our users normally browse the directory by Windows Explorer, drag & drop
the file into QGIS or copy it to the local system first. This also has
to do with GPKG's bad network performance.

Best regards,
Tobias