[QGIS-Developer] The curious case of GeoPackage on exFAT

Bo Victor Thomsen bo.victor.thomsen at gmail.com
Mon May 11 05:10:02 PDT 2020

Hi all -

I have a strange problem. I'm have 3 different disk on my windows based
system on Mac hardware

 1. My system drive. Formatted to NTFS.
 2. A flash-drive. Formatted to FAT32.
 3. A data drive. Formatted to exFAT. The last is my primary data drive
    and is shared between my Windows partition and my Mac partition on
    my MacBook Pro. Hence the use of exFAT.

I have a QGIS plugin, which copies a template of a GeoPackage file to
"where-ever the user wants it placed" and afterward make some content
changes in the copy using the PyQT QSQL module with the QSPATIALITE driver

This work if the Geopackage  file is copied to either disk no 1 (NTFS)
or disk no 2 (FAT32). However, it doesn't work if the file is copied to
disk no 3 (exFAT). The process leaves the WAL files even after the
database is closed properly.

And even more strange: If I reformat the flash-drive to exFAT and repeat
the experiment using the reformatted drive it too works without a hitch.

The normal "divide et impera" method tells me that my exFat data disk is
bork'ed. However this error *only* occurs with the QGIS/GeoPackage
creation/modification scenario. Everything else is working OK.

The disk is not shared on the network. Has anyone experienced the same
type of problems ? And have a solution ?? Just asking before I begin to
clean up / reformat my 100 GB data disk

System setup: MacBook Pro 2014 / Windows 8.1 OS /QGIS 3.10.5 (the same
problem occurs with 3.10.0 , 3.10.2 ...3.12.2)

--

Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards

Bo Victor Thomsen